Table of Contents
Removing squatters in your home can be a difficult process if you don’t consult an experienced Attorney. If you own a home in Broward County Florida and have people living there that you do not have a lease with or have never met before, the best way to remove them is through an unlawful detainer action. This is a type of removal action that does not require a notice to the squatters. You can file a complaint immediately. The Squatters have only five days to respond to the Complaint in Broward County Florida and the defenses are usually limited as they are occupying your home illegally.
The Real Estate Law Office of Brian Kowal, PA can provide ongoing representation and assistance to remove squatters in Broward County.
An investment home is one of your most important assets. Protect your property and exercise your rights by removing squatters with the help of Brian P. Kowal, PA.
Advice to Consider When Removing Squatters in Broward County
Finding squatters on your property can be a stressful and particularly infuriating experience. However, it’s important that you act within the law and avoid making decisions in the heat of the moment. Rash actions could land you in legal trouble, despite the fact that your rights and property have been infringed upon.
- You may find that the people on your property are simply trespassing, rather than squatting as illegal residents. If you believe that people are trespassing on your property you can call the police who will question the individuals and potentially remove them from the property. (Note that this is not possible in all cases, as sometimes a court order will be necessary.)
- Understand that the situation can be complicated, which is why proper legal channels need to be followed. Some squatters are victims of scams, having entered unlawful tenancy agreements with a party that is acting fraudulently.
- Never attempt to physically remove squatters or threaten to physically remove or harm them. This could expose you to a civil case or criminal charges. If you feel threatened or witness illegal activity, call law enforcement in the first instance.
- Laws related to squatting are complicated. Squatters do have some rights and in extreme cases they may claim adverse possession. This makes legal representation especially important.
- Be prepared to file a lawsuit to remove squatters. You will need to gather paperwork with the assistance of your attorney. It’s useful to create a timeline of events from the moment you discovered the squatters. This will help you to recall details and can be used in court.
- Don’t ignore squatters or attempt to bargain with them. Squatters can cause damage and lost revenue from your income property. They may create debt in your name if you have utilities connected to the property. Some squatters will attempt to manipulate property owners, and some are very adept at doing so. As soon as you discover a case of trespass or unlawful residence, contact the Law Office of Brian P. Kowal, PA.
Contact a Team of Experienced Attorneys in Broward County
Squatters living in your home in an unfortunate situation, but it is important to know that you have rights as an owner of the property to remove them in Broward County Florida. If you are an owner of a home in Broward County Florida or South Florida and need to remove squatters, contact the Law Office of Brian P. Kowal, PA today at (954) 990-7552.