Motion of final Default Judgment defense in Florida

Not sure about your rights after a default has been entered? Let the law office of Brian Kowal P.A. help you file a motion to vacate the default

If an individual fails to respond to a Lawsuit, a default will be entered.  Nevertheless, you still may be able to vacate the Default.  Contact the Law Office of Brian P. Kowal, PA  to learn about your options.

  1. Failing to respond to a lawsuit: After a person has been served, they have 20 days to respond.  If they do not respond, a default will be entered.
  2. Failing to appear at a Pretrial Conference: If a person fails to appear at the pretrial conference, the Court will enter a default.

A Motion for Final Default Judgment can be filed if a default has been entered. If the Court grants the Motion, a Final Judgment will be entered. However, Rule 1.540(b) of the Florida Rules of Civil Procedure allows a Default to be set aside for several reasons. These include:

  • Fraud
  • Mistake
  • Newly discovered evidence
  • Excusable Neglect
  • Default is void.

To vacate a Default, an individual must meet all elements of a 3 part test. The 3 elements include:

  1. Excusable Neglect:  An individual does not respond due to a misunderstanding, clerical error, or human error.
  2. Meritorious Defense: The Individual must attach an Answer and Affirmative Defenses to their Motion to Vacate.
  3. Due Diligence: The Individual can file a Motion to Vacate after learning that a default has been entered.

Falling`to respond to a lawsuit can result in a default against an Individual. However, they do have the opportunity to file a Motion to Vacate a Default in Florida. If you are unsure about your rights after a default has been entered, contact the Law Office of Brian P. Kowal, PA today at (954) 990-7552.